Saturday, 6 December 2014

The Diggers book review

This month as part of the Parragon book buddies scheme we have been sent The Diggers by Margaret Wise Brown and illustrated by Antoine Corineau.


Both boys were hugely excited by the look of this book when it arrived as they always are when it comes to machinery. The cover looks so inviting with that great big smiling digger on it so we got reading straight away. "Dig, dig, dig" is how it starts as you join the animals and machines as they discover the underground. The boys love this book and I have read it everyday since it arrived so its definitely a firm favourite, particularly with my two year old. One night this week I read it twice to him and then he told it back to me telling me all about what was happening on each page. I do like it when a book really captivates him to read like this one.


I like the story, starting with the animals, however I found the page about the pirate digging a little out of place with the rest of the book, but my boys didn't notice. A big part of me likes it when the momentum of the rhyme drives you forward through the book, where as in this book when it changes from the animals, to the man and then the big digger the pattern changes too. I am not sure about the change as I liked the original rhyme, but this is just my personal preference and one I have got over after reading it a few times.

The book is beautifully illustrated and we particularly like how they captured the animals such as the worm digging down to his home as it gave good holes for little fingers to trace and follow. The digger is well drawn with his smiling and welcoming face.


Overall we really like The Diggers with its vibrant illustrations and fun story about digging and we would recommend it. If you would like to buy your own copy you can get it here from Amazon: http://amzn.to/1wuaNmS


Disclaimer: We received a copy of The Diggers in order to review it but all the opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment