Friday, 21 November 2014

The Bully and the Shrimp Review

This month as part of Parragon's Book Buddy Scheme we have been sent The Bully and the Shrimp to review by Catherine Allison and Kim Geyer.


I was a little apprehensive about this book because I have never used the word 'bully' when we talk about people being unkind and I was in two minds about whether this book would be a help or a hindrance. The book has been developed in conjunction with school teachers and child development experts which put me at a bit more ease, but I really had no idea as to what to expect.

On our first reading of it my eldest immediately liked the main character Noah Shrimpton who is small for his age, but he says " being smalls not so bad!" Noah is a very lovable character and he uses is journal to show his favourite things (superheroes and dinosaurs are just some) and how he is feeling throughout the book. Noah's personality seems very similar to my four year olds and it was like they instantly connected. When Connor (the bully) first comes into the page my son was very quiet and I could see his eyes getting wider. He really isn't very nice and I know that my son didn't know how to respond, so we talked about Connor not being very nice and how that must have felt.

What I really liked about the book was how Noah dealt with the bully. He didn't go running off to tell tales but feeling encouraged and loved by his friend Ellie he finds his big voice to stand up to Connor. Confidence is such an important skill and I loved how it was portrayed here.


I was a bit apprehensive about this book to begin with, but I shouldn't have been. Its very well written and worded and the word bullying is not banded about, but carefully used tackling this sensitive subject. The illustrations are brilliant and we loved Noah's journal drawings throughout. My son really enjoyed this book and learning more about Noah Shrimpton and I would recommend the book whether you are facing bullying head on, or if you just want to talk about it like us.


If you would like to buy your own copy of The Bully and the Shrimp you can find it here on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1CY4PfT

Have you ever had to face bullying with your children? At the end of the book there is a page dedicated to giving advice and where to get help from.

Disclaimer: I was sent a copy of this book in order to complete my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment