Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Dreaming of a holiday

When people ask me about my dream holiday destination I splutter a bit as thousands of different destinations run through my head. I always feel a little unsure as to what to say because there are so many different places that I have been to and loved and have strong memories permeating my thoughts, and then there are the places that I dream about going to as well. The places that people have told me about or I have heard whisperings of like Australia and New Zealand, the ones I am drawn to in intrigue.

Houston zoo seeing the locals
I want my children to experience walking through the streets of St Petersburg marvelling at the architecture and the wonder captured in the city and the people. I also want them to experience being face to face with an Orca at Seaworld in Orlando, so close to a creature so powerful and strong is something never to be forgotten. I want them to visit the borders of Finland and taste blueberries so sweet beyond imagination growing out in the wild whilst doing their usual thing of collecting the most unusual sticks they can find and stuffing them into their pockets. I want them to explore the vastness of the Grand Canyon blown away by how big it is as we fly over in a helicopter, or see just what a volcano really looks like up close in Hawaii. I want to see my boys faces as there jaws drop open as they stand metres from the most gigantic gator they have ever seen, the one that seems to only have eyes for them that they talk about for years after. I want my son to see where he was born in Houston, be captivated by the extraordinary Hobbit world of New Zealand and see whales in their natural habitat showing off their tremendous size and form. The heat of the south of France and beaches so white with sand as far as the eye can see in contrast to the cold of Moscow as we wrap ourselves in layer upon layer of clothes to walk on the iced Baltic sea. 

Orca's in San Antonio SeaWorld
The excitement of flying high above the clouds is something incredible in itself and not to be shrugged off lightly at the start of an adventure. In amongst these big holiday moments I want my kids to remember the time we had together as a family, the quiet togetherness that holds the four of us as a family. The games we shared as we flew high in the air, the simplicity of exploring a new place together through leaf kicking feet taking in nature in its new and unfamiliar, often breathtaking surroundings. Each holiday we share together is about us as a family seeing and living in new surroundings learning about the culture, tasting their food and creating memories however big or small that stay with us, reminding us and inspiring us. 

Stick collecting and gathering in pockets
I don't have one dream destination for a family holiday I have many, but the one element that all my dream destinations have is the captivating and breathtaking factor for adventure. The opportunity to explore something beyond what we see everyday, together as a family. These memories that they make I hope will help them to dream bigger, to want adventure and to understand the importance of dreaming with adventure in the future. Afterall its my memories and past experiences that are shaping theirs. 

This post is an entry for the #Flying100 Family Holiday Challenge, celebrating how flying allows us to make memories and 'be there', in association with #Flying100. Find out more at http://bit.ly/flying100 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed hearing about your travel experiences and dreams. Memory-making is so important. Commenting for myself and on behalf of BritMums and thanking you for taking part

    ReplyDelete