I love Autumn and so wanted to bake something that was fun for my little helper and me to both do but that also re-inventing something that I love in a new way. I have really fond memories of making peppermint creams as a child and so we have created these to look like pumpkins. These would also be good to hand out on Halloween as an alternative little treat for door knockers.
450g Icing Sugar
50g Melted butter
2 Tbsp Lukewarm milk
1 Tsp Peppermint essence
Food Colouring to make orange (we used red and yellow)
A handful of semi sweet chocolate chips for decoration
1. Sift the icing sugar into your bowl
2. Combine the milk, butter and peppermint essence and gradually add to the icing sugar. Mixing as you add. (Top tip - heat butter in microwave then add the milk and it will make it lukewarm without any effort)
3. Mix well and knead with hands until smooth
4. Add in the food colouring
5. Make into balls use a finger to squash the middle down, score the top and add a upside down chocolate chip to make look like pumpkins. (To make them look more real use your finger tips to make the shape less perfect - pumpkins come in all kinds of shapes afterall)
6. Place in the fridge to set.
My son and I had a huge amount of fun working the dough into the pumpkin shapes and the peppermint and the chocolate chips are a really tasty flavour combination. My son who is two loved playing with the dough and forming his own shapes. I have this huge thing for pumpkins and I love how pretty they look and that they represent the harvest. We also had great fun eating some too and they looked really great presented on crushed bourbon biscuits. The perfect Autumn mouth size treat.
What sweet treats are you making this Autumn?