Thursday, 9 October 2014

My #MorningWins

New house, new school, new playschool, new friends, new routine and I am determined to make my mornings new and improved too. Afterall a good morning makes for a great day and puts me in the right frame of mind to face any challenge that awaits me.

So what makes my morning sing and gives me that #MorningWin feeling?
It starts with time, as much as I am a fan of sleeping my #MorningWin comes from getting up early to have a shower before sleepy little heads pop around the door. It gives me the chance to prepare mentally for what lies ahead and to focus as the warm water beats down on me. You need to catch these little moments of stillness set out for you in a hectic morning.

Everyone loves it when there children get themselves dressed perfectly, but I do like it when we have a giggle in the morning too. Like when my two boys appear dressed for the day adorned with a pants hat. Laughter lightens the load and is definitely a #MorningWin.

Pants hat - just in case you were wondering what I was talking about!
When we arrive downstairs its a #MorningWin to be handed a cup of tea freshly brewed and steaming hot and to see that the breakfast fairy has laid out breakfast ready for everyone. Besides being less for me to do, it also stops the arguments about who is using which bowl and the spoon fight. I am not sure why it calms the ruckus that breakfast sometimes is, but I love how smoothly breakfast flows from this point onwards.


Now I know plenty of parents who are in such a rush to get out the door in the mornings and I am still one of those, but I have allowed myself enough time to clear up after breakfast before we leave for school. The kids need time to play and this gives them the space to do just that whilst I wipe, sort and reload the dishwasher. This in itself I don't count as a morning win but it becomes one when I arrive home from drop off to a clean kitchen. I don't care about cars all over my lounge or a new duplo tower that has appeared, I just want to make a cup of tea and enjoy 5 minutes of quiet refocusing time and I have be in a clean kitchen to do that.

Finally I have embraced the mile that is our walk to school whilst my eldest steams ahead on his bike and my youngest chatters to himself in the pushchair whilst I am enjoying the stillness of the countryside and the beauty of all that surrounds me. Its a #MoriningWin when the sun beats down upon us but even in the rain I find this time to myself perfect for dreaming up ideas and schemes. A time to think and let go. Its busy when you are a Mum and this is exactly what I need, time to dream. I never really realised before that I was dreamer or that I needed this time to think and be, but I do because it makes for a happy me. There is also something very refreshing about a walk first thing in the morning particularly in this Autumn weather that tantalizes the senses, clears the head and gives you bursts of energy for the rest of the day- just what I need.

My view of my eldest steaming ahead
I am always reminded by this T.E Lawrence quote that dreaming is pretty crucial, I hope that it inspires you too to make space in the morning for your own #MorningWins.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence

I have honestly lived in fear of the school run for the past year wondering just how I will get everyone up and out in time, but it turns out the school run might be my biggest #MorningWin of all giving me the space to dream again and to brew up ideas that spark my creativity. It also turns out that I am not the only one who needs space to dream either, as the school mile sparks intrigue and dozens of questions from eldest too. I love that something I have dreaded for all this time has this surprising and exciting outcome.  


View as we walk to school
This post is an entry for #MorningWin Linky Challenge sponsored by belVita Breakfast. Learn more at http://bit.ly/belVitaUK if you want to find out more about the challenge you can find more here: #MorningWin 

I would love to hear what your #MorningWins are.

1 comment:

  1. I am so pleased it is all working out better than you expected. I love how you write and I too need those quiet moments and think you are wise to seek them out. Commenting on behalf of myself and BritMums and thanking you for taking part

    ReplyDelete