Wednesday, 15 October 2014

Afternoon tea delights - rainbow meringues

There is something very lovely about afternoon tea and that accompanying sweet treat and sometimes as a Mum I just need a little bit of that in my house to to cheer up a dull and rainy afternoon. Pottery company Denby are having The Great Denby Cake Off and so I thought why not enter and create an afternoon treat of my own something fun to bring a little spark back to my afternoons.


I love cake but on this occasion I wanted to make something just as sweet but much lighter, something that could be enjoyed without me spoiling my dinner and so that I could still walk the school run. So I decided to make meringues and being the quirky person I am I wanted to put a little bit of me into them by trying out giving them a rainbow design and to top them off a little bit of chocolate.


Ingredients:
225g Caster Sugar
4 Large egg whites
2 pinches of cream of tartar
Food colourings - I used blue, purple, yellow, pink, red
100g Chocolate for dipping

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 120C and add baking paper to your tray (Tip: I like to stick my baking paper to the tray by spraying on some cake release - that way your paper doesn't move when your piping).

2. Put the egg whites into your mixing bowl and whisk until the whites become foamy. Add the cream of tartar and keep whisking until the mixture forms a soft peak.


3. Whisk in 4 tablespoons of the sugar, one at a time until the meringue is glossy and forms a stiff peak.

4. Add the rest of the sugar over the meringue and fold in with a metal spoon

5. Divide into bowls and add your food colouring - be as adventurous as you like!


6. Add your colouring to your piping bag. I layered mine across working from one side of the bag to the other but it all mixed together when I pushed it down to pipe. When I added more to my bag I also saved some white to add in and I liked how they all looked different.


7. Pipe into swirls onto your baking tray


8. Place in the oven for 55 minutes.

9. When the timer goes do not open your oven! Turn the oven off and leave to cool in your oven. Seems weird but it stops the meringue from cracking.

10. When cool you can heat up your chocolate either in a bain-marie or my preferred method in the microwave.

11. Dip your meringue in to coat the bottom and turn upside down to dry. (This was the trickiest part as the meringue to very delicate.)


12. Serve with your tea, my preference is Earl grey for afternoon tea.


These tasted so very delicious, they were light, crunchy on the outside and with that little mallowy goodness on the inside, topped off by the chocolate. I loved the colours too of the rainbow design and they felt like a modern take on afternoon tea. What do you like to have with your afternoon tea?


No comments:

Post a Comment