Wednesday, 10 September 2014

Eat it if you dare...

This week our CSMA Club challenge to try #newthings has been all about trying a new food. Both of my boys are really good eaters and normally they are up for the challenge of trying new things to eat, so I thought it would be fun to both make it and eat our #newthings.

We love a new recipe challenge and we agreed we all liked the sound of "Mexican Eggs". I think its supposed to be a breakfast dish traditionally but we thought we would have it for lunch, why not. We used Gordon Ramsey's recipe which you can find here as a baseline but in my usual fashion we didn't quite have all of the right ingredients so we adapted it slightly not adding the heat of the chilli and swapping black beans for olives plus a few other things.

Our version of the recipe looked like this:

Ingredients:
1 red onion - diced
1 garlic clove - diced
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
4 - 6 corn tortillas halved
Handful of olives chopped (we used black)
4 eggs
handful of grated cheese
pepper to taste
Olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the onions and garlic until soft
3. Add the cumin, chopped tomatoes and olives and pepper and simmer
4. Grease the dish (we used fry light because it was easy for the boys to spray on) and then line with the tortillas overlapping them and putting them above the edge of the dish.
5. Add the tomato mixture to the dish and make wells on the top to break the eggs into
6. Sprinkle over the cheese and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes


The boys enjoyed helping me line the dish with the tortillas (and eating a few bites too) and then breaking and dropping in the eggs and sprinkling the cheese on the top. My youngest got stuck straight into eating his when served and really liked that one of his eggs still had a runny yoke. My eldest wasn't so sure and picked at it a little bit, thats sometimes how it goes with a four year old but I was pleased that he tasted it. I really enjoyed it too I am particularly fond of the spice cumin in dishes and we haven't had it much, if at all since we have been living with my parents so it was a welcome change for me. We also had too much food for the three of us to eat.



I also thought it would be fun to do something different when we made some jelly. The boys love making it and sometimes its fun to reinvent food to make it new and different. We got out loads of straws and decided to make jelly worms using a pack of blackcurrant jelly which we only added half the amount of water too so that it would hold its shape for the worms. Both boys had a go at putting the cubes in the jug and stirring the jelly as it dissolved and then the fun really began. Having never made worms before we were experimenting a little bit and we stretched the straws and then bent them, wedging them bendy end down in a glass so that when we poured in the jelly some would remain in the straws. I also used an elastic band to hold the tops of the straws together. We then waited for the jelly to cool a little and then poured it in leaving it in the fridge to set for about 4 hours.






After hours of waiting for the jelly to set it was ready. The boys were very excited. I had to run each straw under the warm tap to make getting the worms out a smooth process. There were lots of giggles and laughter as several of the worms shot out of the straw and pinged across the room as I was squeezing them out. One landed in the cats bowl, oops! I couldn't get the worms out fast enough, as soon as one was in their bowl it was gone. Jelly worms were definitely a #newthings success as they were still giggling about it when I put them in the bath. My youngest told me his favourite thing had been when the worms escaped across the room.






What new foods will you be trying out this week?




No comments:

Post a Comment