Monday, 23 June 2014

Children’s True Colours

Hillarys' Blinds are asking Bloggers about their children's fascination with colour so I thought I would share about my boys and there love for colour.

We are hopefully going to be buying a house over the next few months (crosses fingers) and as a way of helping my two boys to adjust with the change and get used to the idea of a move, I have told them they can decorate their new bedroom however they like and with whatever colour they want too! Several people commented to me that I might be allowing for coving to be painted red, or worse, but I am pretty confident that with some gentle guidance they will get it right for them. Thats the key thing, it has to be right for them; so what if they want an orange wall or a bright lime green rug clashing with a red bed frame. It might not be my choice but I want them to have the creative, inspirational and personal space they need and want to develop and grow in. In reality as I contemplated we are often  conservative as adults when it comes to colour, suppressing it because some DIY program tells us we should go with a neutral colour palette in our lives because thats what people are expecting of us. In reality I feel sad that we have lost a love of colour and I would love to embrace colour like my son does.

I am truly inspired by my son who is 4. If you asked him he would tell you his favourite colour is orange (although he loves red, purple and pink too) and he is happy to clash it with everything he wears. Yesterday when I woke up my son eagerly went off to get dressed coming back in orange shorts and an orange top and he informed me that he was having an orange day and that I needed to wear orange too. My younger son was soon behind clutching his orange top ready for me to help him get it on too. I don't really own many things that are orange but I told him I would wear my Birkenstocks which are orange and he happened to help me choose! It felt really good to be part of his orange colourburst as we walked around the village, unified and full of fun. I recommend that you do it to, no wonder kids like colour, it brightens up your day and gives you this extra zingy energy that I had all day long.

For my children (and I am suspecting most children) colour seems to be their powerhouse, the thing that gets their creative juices flowing and I am wondering if when they sit doing their homework in a room full of brightness if there creative ideas will come quicker, be quirkier and inspired? It would make sense, like the blue sky theory but with colour, we all need a bit to get the best out of us.

I think this captures the colour these boys inject into my life!
I never really noticed before now but my son has a portion of his wardrobe that he doesn't really wear. I always thought it was because he was an independent thinker and likes to choose himself (which he is), but on closer inspection its the drab stuff he doesn't wear, the tops devoid of pizazz, the grey shirts and the khaki that blends. It seems like a deliberate choice on his part. I am sure that several of my friends look in horror as my son arrives in a clash of orange and red but I have embraced it, its him, its individual and who said that colour clashing was uncool anyway? No wonder as adults we seem to carry the weight of the world on our shoulders when we are wearing greys and blacks. I have been infected and I now try and wear at least one bright thing a day! Its just one bright thing, why not try it  to? You could always start with bright socks and work your way up from there.

Finally my son has some bright pink trousers, they are boys, he picked them himself from the catalogue, and he rocks them really well with pride. I am so fed up of this notion that pink is for girls and blue is for boys - who decided that anyway? What makes the bright pink girly but orange not? I do think its funny though that my son always picks the bright clothes, the fun patterns and prints its like he is drawn to them, and for good reason too.

It seems that bright and bold is infectious, it reenergizes and enthuses without much effort! We should be following the example our kids have set with their vibrant colour palette and add a little colour into our lives too. It got me wondering if I added a little splash of brightness into our living space (when we move) would it enthuse and make me more productive? I am not talking about painting every wall orange but why not liven up that neutral beige with printed blinds, home furnishing that pop and a rug that gives your room that extra something.

I have certainly been challenged to embrace a little colour into my life, as my boys reflect their colourful lives back at me, and life with two boys is certainly busy and fun in everyway. Its challenging me now with what I wear and as we look for a new house to think about how we could be decorating it! So what are you going to inject colour into? Lets all get a little bolder with our colour choices, and brighten up our lives to the level our kids are at!

No comments:

Post a Comment