Saturday, 14 December 2013

The Night Before Christmas

Parragon has sent me a new book to review as part of their Blogger book review club, The Night Before Christmas  by Clement C. Moore and Illustrated by Henry Fisher. Its the traditional poem by Clement C Moore which has fantastic rhyme to it which spurs you on when reading which many of you will be familiar with. I have to admit that beyond the first page I am not sure I have ever read it in its entirety before. This is how it starts:

'Twas the night before Christmas
when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring
not even a mouse.


My two little boys who are 3 and 1 were immediately taken with the picture on the front cover as the hills are covered in glitter and look very enticing. The illustrations are wonderful and Henry Fisher seems to have captured the essence of the story. I particularly like the images of the reindeers. I was very surprised that my 1 year old has been as captivated by the book as he has, as on the whole he tends not to like such lengthy stories. However the illustrations are what seem to have captivated him, from the snowman who you see peeping through the window, to the snowflakes and stars and the cat who you can see on one of the pages drinking the milk left out for St Nicholas. 


This is my 1 year old having a read! 
My three year old sat captivated whilst I was reading it, and has asked me to read it to him everyday since it arrived. He really liked the portrayal of St Nicholas particularly where it says:

He had a broad face
and a little round belly,
That shook when he laughed,
like a bowlful of jelly.

My three year old laughs a lot when we get to this part in the story! There is also so much details in the drawings that I think every time we look we see something new; a little mouse we never saw before or a stocking with hearts on it. You can also see from the picture how vibrant the pages are.

If you are looking for a lovely Christmassy book to share with your children then this is it, it really wraps up the magic of the St Nicholas story with lovely words and pictures.

The book costs £5.99 and you can get it here: The Night Before Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment