Wednesday, 27 November 2013

The day I blew up yet another hand blender...

I am going to be honest, hand blenders and I have a love/ hate relationship; where I love them, and they hate me. They are my "go to" gadget for so many things, and yet they are the centre of my biggest kitchen disasters to date. By just over a year ago, and the disaster day in question that I would like to tell you about, I had already laid to rest three hand blenders.

So, on this day with a two year old "assisting" and a baby in a bouncy chair I decided to be adventurous in the kitchen. I am not quite sure what I was thinking, or what went through my mind when I made this decision, but I did. Embarking on a three course "surprise" meal for my husband.

I made the mascarpone and raspberry cheese cake puddings without any problem, allocating the digestive biscuit bashing to my two year old (which he is really good at). On completing the pudding, I started chopping the vegetables and chicken for my chinese stir fry putting them aside ready to be cooked at a closer point to serving. Carefully placing them out of reach of sticky fingers who like to "help themselves". This is when it got challenging, I had googled earlier in the day how to make egg drop soup a chinese delicacy that I have only ever come across in the USA. But I figured it looked easy enough to make, and I happen to love it. By this point the two year old had started to get a bit tired of cooking, and I started to feed him copious amounts of crackers to keep him amused, whilst rocking the baby with my foot, stirring the soup and half looking at the instructions on my iPad. Finally the end was in sight, all I needed to do was zizz it up with my hand blender. I plug it in, turn it on, and a black puff of smoke is coming out of it ruining my soup, further more flames. I am shouting by this point "STAND BACK" as my two year old looks on, eyes wide and mouth open. I unplug it and literally throw it out the door onto the concrete door step. I am livid, this hand blender just ruined my soup, totally destroyed it! All that effort for nothing! My heart is beating so fast, as I am contemplating our near miss experience.
So this is what I was trying to create - Egg Drop Soup!
When my husband trundled in a hour later, he came in with a puzzled look "Err, is that another hand blender?" To top off the hand blender failure, he also added insult to injury with "Well, I don't know how to tell you this, but I actually don't like egg drop soup!"Well good job the hand blender destroyed it then! Ha! And how did I not know that he didn't like it.

As a side note just in case you are wondering the previous hand blending incidents involved making marmalade (it took out two of them) and and more soup making! I am starting to take it personally now as we are averaging about one hand blender a year. Or perhaps it my cooking?
This is the chopper pot.

Then at Christmas last year, my brother in law, hearing about the "incident" agreed to buy us a new hand blender. In my mind I was beginning to think I would never touch a hand blender again as it would be safer for us all. However on unwrapping it I discovered it was Kenwood Triblade Hand blender, which came with loads of additional gadgets. I proceeded with caution, allowing my husband to demonstrate it first. It seemed safe enough, so I embarked on using it. The clever thing about this new blender is that it comes with many attachments (which is what I was wooed by) including a chopper pot (thats not what Kenwood call it).

I have always wanted a food procecessor but having used this new hand blending gadget for nearly a year, I am not sure I need one now. It does breadcrumbs, cheese, soup, the potato masher is a godsend, in fact I haven't come across a recipe that I can't make with the help of my hand blender. The extra blades and gadgets mean that it can tackle almost anything I throw at it, and it has widened recipe selection too. All I can ask is that it sticks with me. We are nearly a year in, and I am hoping that this is "the one". Please let this be the one!

This is what it comes with - the Kenwood triblade hand blender.
This blog post is my  entry into the Tots100/PartSelect ’Love Your Appliance’ competition. You can find more about it here on Tots100. PartSelect is a website that encourages consumers to show their appliances a little love by giving Internet users the know-how to take on repairs themselves, they have over 700 instructional videos. I think that even if I had known about this clever website, my hand blender may have still been past fixing - but you never know!


This appliance gets my seal of approval!

No comments:

Post a Comment