Monday, 11 November 2013

#Blog4Sanitation Competition

Splashdirect are asking Bloggers to tell their funniest or most disgusting bathroom stories for World Toilet day to raise awareness  for Wateraid. You can find out more about the competition here on the Splashdirect blog. For example did you know that every 40 seconds a child dies from water related diseases! Thats a lot - in fact its shocking! So here is my funny story that I will will make you laugh but also make you think too.

Picture the scene, I am about 8 (I am now 31) and big enough to have got everything toilet related down to an art. It was evening, so my parents had long since put me to bed and I being very tired had dosed into a deep sleep as usual. Whilst I was sleeping my parents opened up our house to around 10 teenagers who all sat eagerly awaiting games around the dining room table downstairs. Teenagers were regular visitors to our house when I was a kid, and when I was awake I knew them all very well, and I looked up to them hugely. My Dad was renowned for his fun games like "chubby bunnies" where you stuff as many marshmallows into your mouth at once and still somehow manage to say "Chubby Bunnies". On this occasion they were sat around the table whilst my Mum prepared much awaited snacks and drinks before the games began.

All of a sudden, I burst through the door in my pink dressing gown, found a chair and sat down at the table with everyone else. All of the teenagers greeted me with excited tones and I, instead of greeting them back proceeded to wee all over the chair I was sitting on. Yes you heard me, wee, and not just a short wee, the kind that goes on and on forever, leaving a huge pool beneath my seat. Then I stood up without saying a word and started to trundle back upstairs. I am sure that by this point the teenagers didn't know whether to laugh or just to gawp, mouths open wide, slightly dazed and confused. My Mum, being Mum soon swept in and realised that I was sleep walking and despite my open eyes I was fast asleep.

The following morning over breakfast, and for several years beyond my parents enjoyed (to my absolute embarrassment) regaling the story over and over and over and over again. In fact my brother  is still known to pop into conversation "Do you remember that time when Hannah wee'ed all over the…"not the best thing when as a teenager myself I was bringing home boyfriends. Plus I had the shame of seeing all of the teenagers week after week.

So laugh all you want at my sleep walking misfortune! It has taken me many years to finally see the funny side to this story and to be brave enough to share. I genuinely have no memory of the event itself but with ten teenage witnesses I am pretty sure it happened as said, and I am sure that there are plenty of other people that have clearly mistaken a dining room chair for a toilet in their sleep too!

I am part of the #Blog4Sanitation movement setup by Splashdirect to raise awareness of the importance of global sanitation. Learn more about World Toilet Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment