Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Hungry to Happy Challenge


This post is an entry for BritMums’ Hungry to Happy Challenge sponsored by Richmond Mini Meatballs, you can read more about it here on BritMums

We are always up for a challenge in our house and anything that turns my three and one year old from hungry to happy is a winner for us. As it seems that they are always hungry! In fact for me as a Mum, and I am sure you are all the same, from the moment I am up and sorting breakfast, I am also thinking about lunch and what I need to do to make sure dinner is served at the perfect time, catering for everyones individual tastes and wants! 

Time is precious in our house and I am always looking for, quick and easy recipes that are nutritious and tasty as well as enjoyed by both my two children and my husband. Thats no easy feat, but this one really worked well for us, using Richmond Mini Meatballs (which by the way you can cook from frozen in 10 minutes and they were designed with children in mind!), here is my recipe which served 4 of Tomato Sauce Meatballs and Rice. The meatballs cost £2 and most of the other ingredients are stock items that I keep in most of the time but it didn't cost me anymore than £5 to make. 

Meatballs! Frozen and ready to be cooked.
Tomato Sauce
Tomato Sauce 
1 red onion 
1 or 2 cloves of garlic 
5 closed cup medium sized mushrooms
1 red pepper
Tin of chopped tomatoes
Blob of tomato puree
Splash of tomato ketchup
Splash of Soy Sauce
Splash of Mushroom Ketchup
Splash of Worcester Sauce
Sprinkle of Pepper to taste 
Oil seed Rape or Olive oil 

Other Ingredients
1 pack of Richmond Mini Meatballs 
Basmati Rice (Or if you fancy something different it would work well with pasta too)
Cheddar Cheese

1. Chop up the onion and garlic and heat with a little oil slowly on a low heat until cooked and get your rice on and your meatballs in the oven!
2. Chop up Mushrooms and Pepper - this is a great step for little hands to get involved in and I assigned this to my 3 year old as both mushrooms and pepper tear really well (see the picture below). Then add to the saucepan.
3. Add in tin of chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, tomato ketchup, soy sauce, worcester sauce, mushroom ketchup and grind in a little pepper. Bring it all up to the boil and leave to simmer. 
4. Put your cooked meatballs into the tomato sauce and serve with your rice.
5. We love cheese so we just added a little bit grated on top for serving.

The finished dish!
This is Jake breaking up the mushroom ready
All in all this took me about 15 minutes in total to make and whilst cooking I had a three year old "helping", a one year old tugging at my leg and I had to take a phonecall as well! 

Whats more important is that everyone enjoyed it and my husband and three year old went back for extra helpings of the tomato sauce and meatballs, nothing says yummy mummy better than a cleared plate! So why not give it a go too! What I love about this recipe is that you could also make the tomato sauce earlier in the day and just bring back up to temperature later if you need to, or you can make it up really quickly without much preparation or planning if you are having "one of those days"!








1 comment:

  1. Speedy fun meal. Commenting for myself and on behalf of BritMums and thanking you for taking part

    ReplyDelete