Sunday, 20 May 2012

So let's talk Next

So let's talk Next

As a mum of now 2 boys Next is my new best friend. Since my second son was born in March, I have had my hands full looking after a new baby and chasing a toddler around, so not much time to shop all. First disaster was discovering that all of the sleep suits I  already had were too small as this baby was much bigger than my first! Quick look at next before 9pm and hey presto come the following day I have 3 new suits awaiting on my doorstep - you really can't get better than this! Since then Next have saved my bacon on several occasions including flowers for mothers day. I really can't fault their ordering and delivery process either and I find that it's nearly always the same courrier so you can get to know them and let them know what to do with your parcels if your not in (i.e which neighbour is always in).

As we are in May and it's only getting warmer I wanted to look at fashion pieces that reflected the warm bright summer sun for the whole family! Fashion can be a bit of a mindfield for a newbie trying to keep up with all of the latest trends, so my motto is to "keep it simple and clean". You will see this reflected in my choices below, as keeping it simple means you don't make fashion mistakes or clashes!


As you can see I picked for myself the navy floral sleeveless shirt dress as I thought it was very pretty and summery, it has the potential to be dressed up or down dependent on the situation. The floral pattern brings out the summer colours without overpowering the dress, and the shape would flatter a pear or hourglass shape which is perfect for me as I have bigs hips that I like to hide! I have acessorized the dress with silver jewel toe thong sandals as being a mum heels aren't always practical to chase a toddler down the street, so this is a great compromise. They will also work well with a variety of outfits including jeans and chinos. No outfit would be complete without some jewellery and a matching handbag, so I chose the filagree bracelet and this amazing bag which has plenty of room (in my case to hid nappies) without having to compromise on fashion. I have to confess that although I love fashion, it's not a natural talent to pair and match and I am always slightly daunted by my sister who could make a sack look like it just came hot off the catwalk! So be encouraged if you are like me, that you can make fashion work and next are a great place to start because of the way they organize their website into collections and they tell you what the trends are, for example they have a great section on how to wear the scarf pattern prints this season brings.

I wanted to also dress the three men in my life as they also reflect my style. For my husband he likes to wear shirts and be in that smart casual realm so the grey, white and red stripe shirt and grey herringbone trousers would be a very good look for him, I also think it compliments my dress without looking too matchy. Some couples can pull off the whole matching thing, we are not that couple!

I have two boys, my eldest being 2 and I picked the ticking stripe roll hem jeans and embellished top for him. He actually owns these jeans already and they look great on him as they are quite skinny around the ankles and so elongate him (he is quite short so looking a bit taller is never a bad thing). The top is part of the official Olympic range and my son looks great in a collar as it again balances the smart casual look. Its a win win situation as he likes to be comfy and I like him to look presentable and this top does both (it also comes in red if you are concerned about grass stains).  For my youngest being under 3 months the choices are different so I picked out the denim dungarees with the stripy bodysuit for underneath. This again is an item that my son already owns and I love the bright colours of it! I get extremely fed up of pale blue, creams and whites on new baby boys so it's refreshing to see that next have fully embraced colour and vibrancy in their collections.

If you get a chance take a look at the tropical trend fashion bright wedges. These are awesome and something of a guilty pleasure, need I say anymore!

As you can see with the help of next you can catch the summer trends and feel confident that you look the part and like me still be a mum too!

This blog post is part of the next blogger competition run by Glitz & grime and if I won the competition I would look to update my wardrobe, as having lived in the states for the last few years my clothes no longer quite fit the climate, and I don't think my shape will ever be quite the same again after child birth and there is nothing worse than trying to squeeze into clothes that don't fit! No doubt it would also include some things for my three men as particularly the younger two grow so quickly there is always a need for new clothes!


1 comment:

  1. Hi I’m Heather! Please email me when you get a chance! I have a question about your blog. HeatherVonsj(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete